Domestic Asbestos Removal
Southstar Asbestos Removals are the leading local domestic asbestos removal experts. Not only do we have extensive experience in removing and disposing asbestos, we know exactly what asbestos looks like and where to find it in the home.
Visit our Projects page to see some of the domestic projects we have completed.
Asbestos Materials in Homes
Between the 1940s-1980s, asbestos was a highly popular building material used because it was fire-proof and durable. There are two types of asbestos. One type is firmly bound (Class B, non-friable) & the second is loosely bound (friable, Class A).
Older homes with asbestos will contain class B asbestos. Class B asbestos products in the home can include but is not limited to:
- A/C Sheeting
- Heater flues
- Corrugated cement roofing
- Fake brick cladding
- Eave linings
- Cement sheeting behind bathroom and laundry splashback tiles
- PVC floor tiles
See below images of asbestos products examples mentioned above that Southstar have come across during domestic asbestos removal services.
Asbestos Locations in Home
There are many locations in the home and around the property where asbestos can be found. The most common domestic areas are:
- Laundry: Walls, ceiling, floor and behind splashback
- Bathroom/Toilet: Walls, ceiling, floor and behind splashback
- Kitchen: Floor and behind splashback
- Bungalow: Internal/external walls, ceilings, roof
- Garage: Internal/external walls, ceilings, roof
- Sunroom: Internal/external walls, ceilings
- Exterior: Eaves, eave linings, fake bricks around home, fences, house roof, fence
What is Friable Asbestos?
Class B asbestos is firm whereas friable (Class A) asbestos products are generally loose. When friable asbestos is dry it can crumble into fine material or dust just by crushing it lightly with your hand. Class A asbestos products are dangerous because when disturbed, the asbestos fibres can easily spread into the air and people living or working in the affected area can inhale the fibres.
Damaged or badly weathered class B asbestos products can also become friable.Click here for more information on friable asbestos.
If it’s time to finally remove the asbestos from your home, contact Southstar Asbestos Removals for a FREE quote.